Independent of Risk Assessment but an integral part of it, the Business Impact Analysis (BIA) measures the actual impact on business in the event that a business process or supporting IT systems are not available when required. Again, while the BIA is not a Business Process Management (BPM) exercise; it is usually the initiator of such an exercise.
- Ensures management and business buy-in.
- Delivers cost justification for disaster management.
- Improves business relationships.
- Ensures business continuity is focused on business requirements.
- Ensures communication within the organisation.
- Improves the Incident Management and Reporting process.
- Determines the technology to be implemented.
- Determines the roles and responsibilities across the organisation.
- Determines whether further technology is required.